What's next? Voice.
The proof is in the data, and it feels a lot like Web 2000 and Social Media 2006.
It's early, but the Data shows that audience attention is flocking to Voice.
1. What does "Voice" mean? (you may hear it referred to as digital audio, Voice Skills, or Voice Actions). It means Audio Content, mainly in the form of Podcasts, but also all content consumed on Amazon's Echo Device (Alexa), Google Home, Apple HomePod, etc.
2. 22% of Americans have smart assistants in their home, up from less than 1% a year ago. That's huge, people. This is the next way to get your audience's attention.
3. Amazon's Alexa (Echo Device) holds 71% of the voice market, followed by Google Home at 18%, Microsoft Cortana at 10% and Apple HomePod at less than 1%.
4. 88% of 12-24 year olds listened to online audio in the last month.
5. Estimated hours of weekly online audio that will be consumed in 2018: THIRTEEN HOURS AND 40 MINUTES PER WEEK.
That's insane. Name something else other than sleep or work that you do that often each week.
Quick pause - Why do you think this is? It kind of doesn't matter, because it's happening anyway, but I believe it's because audio saves people time. Not only can you multitask while listening to podcasts, but you can ask Alexa what time it is without stopping to find a clock. All of that stuff adds up.
There will be more data points coming soon from this blog, as well as more information on:
- What is an Alexa Skill?
- What is an Alexa Flash Briefing?
- What is a Google Action?
- How to Create these things, and how you can use them to grow your business.
There will also be more content to come on how to effectively advertise your company on podcasts. Currently, the host reads, and the advertiser has to sponsor the whole show. That is changing fast due to tools like AdsSwizz and Megaphone, where Digital Audio Insertion Ads will happen, much like the Facebook and Instagram audience targeting that occurs on social media, brands will be able to advertise to specific users based on demographics and interests data.
For more on podcasting, check out these resources:
Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
Paul Hickey, Founder / CEO / Lead Strategist at Data Driven Design, LLC has created and grown businesses via digital strategy and internet marketing for more than 10 years. His sweet spot is using analytics to design and build websites and grow the audience and revenue of businesses via SEO/Blogging, Google Adwords, Bing Ads, Facebook and Instagram Ads, Social Media Content Marketing and Email Marketing. The part that he’s most passionate about is quantifying next marketing actions based on real data.